Wednesday 11 April 2012

Pattern Magic by Tomoko Nakamichi

From researching all these fascinating designers and their collections i felt today was a good time to start looking through some of the books on pattern cutting and manipulation i had previously ordered in the week. the pattern books were both advanced and basic to help me build upon and further me pattern cutting knowledge and skills.
Today i began to really look at these books and found some interesting techniques that would help me to create both modern and more advanced shapes within my garment. one of these books was the English version of the Japanese 'Pattern Magic' book by Tomoko Nakamichi.
The author is a skilled pattern maker and professor at Bunka Fashion College, delivering lectures and courses on pattern making in her native japan an internationally.
This book is fascinating and has lots of images and good information on how to create some of the pieces shown or methods to create your own, it looks allot at more modern shapes created from basic pattern blocks which is exactly what i want to start with for this project.
 below are a few images from my copy of the book that show some of the techniques i would like to sample and possibly use or develop for this project.


 

I like each of these techniques as the textural or 3D  effect they create from the main body of the garment is the sort of thing i would like to try on my design for this project. i will start by sampling each of them to help confirm my ideas and how they could be manipulated or incorporated into my designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment