Monday 14 May 2012

Young Designer Georgia Hardinge

This post is further research into a designer i came across recently whilst looking for secondary research of how other designers interpret 3D design and that really inspired me both for this project and personally.

The Designer is Young International designer Georgia Hardinge who studied in Paris at Parsons school of Design in 2008, and then returned to London to set up her own label.she has been noted as one to watch for the future.
what inspired me about her design was there striking prints and intriguing design but wear ability, with hints of architectural detailing and darkness, yet always flattering the female form. design element that i myself as a designer am always striving to achieve and put into my own designs her similar style to my own is what made me initial interested in her work and how she creates modern yet structured pieces from her inspirations. this interested me as it widens my own knowledge of techniques i can use for this project and in the future through my own career in the fashion industry, but also helps me as a designer to progress and build my own style and be individual.
One of the things i was drawn to was her unique and vibrant prints which i learned were often created by applying acrylic paints onto a page and then folding them onto the other page which caused the paints to merge and spread into intriguing patterns once opened out, which whit the use of CAD were then developed into finished sharp print designs that were later laser printed onto fabric. this is and interesting technique and one i would love to learn how to use and develop my own prints from in the future.below are some images of this technique.i really love the shapes and bright colours used and the fluid modern effect produced.


above initial acrylic patterns , below CAD developed prints 




I also was inspired by the way she takes these prints and applies them to feminine fabrics like chiffon's, but to make them more modern by complimenting them with similarly modern structured feminine pieces with 3D element within the designs. like the pieces pictured below from her AW 2012 collection.

For these pieces Hardinge has used similar fabrics to those that i wish to use for this project, a combination of light cotton and chiffon that drape and move elegantly on the form, the colour pallet is also similar to some of my own and compliment each other and the design well flowing throughout the design. i am really inspired by the use of structure and 3D design combined with the feminine fabrics on the piece to the right as it has elements that i have envisioned my designs would have for this project and is interesting to see how another designs has used them to make a wearable yet modern and unique piece that flatters the form.
here the use of CAD has given the piece through the unique print a modern yet distinctive edge that i wish to create in my own piece now and in the future.
whilst continuing this project i will refer back to this designer to help me  design develop and interpret my ideas but will also refer to this designer in the future as her style is similar to my own, so i am interested how she will interpret future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment